A few words to get acquainted!
You are interested in surgery or in aesthetic medicine?
You have questions on the techniques used?
– The following websites of our Learned Societies (medical associations) provide full, accessible and trustworthy information, type « SOFCPRE » and « SOFCEP ».
– you will not find a vaguely customized copy,
– you will find enclosed short films showing the main interventions;
You can obtain further information on the surgeon before the first meeting. These websites provide the essential details such as: address, contact details, map, surgeon’s references.
These are the basic details. But, in aesthetic surgery, the moment of truth, occurs in the operating room: form should never prevail over substance.It is not always easy to choose among a growing number of surgeons. “Word of mouth” is often good advice when provided by a satisfied friend or a family member who has undergone surgery, or by a doctor you trust. If one name is systematically recommended, just go!
But remember, nothing will replace a medical consultation. It is an essential meeting between the patient and the surgeon in view of a major decision. An aesthetic surgery will be requested whenever the following elements are present:
– whatever the patient considers a defect
– at a moment of life the patient wishes to correct it.
The patient will explain the problem and give a personal analysis, and then talk about motivations and expectations. The surgeon will listen carefully, will examine the patient (clinical examination is essential) and will establish whether or not intervention is appropriate. The advantages, limits and risks will be listed. Following the medical consultation, the patient and the surgeon will decide whether or not to proceed.
It is a matter of mutual trust that:
– the patient trusts the surgeon for the operation
– the surgeon trusts the patient to carry out a full operative procedure.
Aesthetic surgery generally improves the patient’s well-being; the surgeon is aware of this great responsibility!